Publications & Presentations
Publications & Presentations Reference List
Below is a selected list of Publications and Presentations by Matthew Playford and the team at Dawbuts.
- Playford, MC (2018). Diagnosing Anthelmintic Resistance in small ruminants: Problems and solutions. Proceedings of the Australian Veterinary Association Annual Conference, Brisbane 13-18 May
- Matthew C Playford, Alison Small, Tony Batterham (2017). Anthelmintic resistance in feedlot cattle in Southern Australia detected using Mini-FLOTAC. Proceedings of the World Association for the Advancement of Veterinary Parasitology, Kuala Lumpur 4-8 Sept
- Playford, MC (2017). Optimal worm control for calf and heifer health. Australia and New Zealand College of Veterinary Scientists Science Week, Gold Coast July
- Playford, MC (2017). Using new technologies to provide sheep veterinary consultancy services. Proceedings of the Ninth International Sheep Veterinary Congress, Harrogate UK 22-26 May
- Bullen SL, Beggs DS, Mansell PD, Runciman DJ, Playford MC, and Pyman MF (2016). Anthelmintic resistance in gastrointestinal nematodes of dairy cattle in the Macalister Irrigation District of Victoria. Australian Veterinary Journal, 94, 1-2, 35-41.
- Playford, MC (2016). Livestock vets jumping into the implementation gap, Proceedings, Australian Sheep Vets Conference, Dubbo 9-11 Sept
- Playford, MC & Walkden-Brown, S (2016). Preparing low worm-risk pastures. Paraboss Technical Workshop, Coffs Harbour 3-4 March
- Watts JG, Playford MC & Hickey KL (2015). Theileria orientalis: a review. New Zealand Veterinary Journal, 64, 1, 3-9.
- Matthew C Playford (2015). Theileria orientalis infection of cattle in Japan, Australia and New Zealand. Australia-New Zealand Theileriosis Workshop, Brisbane 29 May (Workshop Organiser)
- Playford MC (2014). Wagyu beef farming in Japan. Australian Wagyu Conference, Royal Pines, Gold Coast QLD 10-12 October
- Playford MC, Dawson K, Playford S, Smith AN, Page S, Collins K, Forsberg N (2014). Short contribution: Effect of an immunomodulatory feed additive on markers of immunity in pasture-fed dairy cows. Australian Veterinary Journal 92, 12, 479-481.
- Playford, MC (2014). ‘Australia’s disease management programs’- Symposium on Infectious Diseases of Livestock, Obihiro University, Hokkaido, Japan (invited speaker, in Japanese)
- Playford MC, Smith AN, Love S, Besier RB, Kluver P and Bailey JN (2014) Prevalence and severity of anthelmintic resistance in sheep nematodes in Australia (2009-2012). Australian Veterinary Journal, 92, 12, 464-471.
- Bailey J, Playford M, Love S, Besier B, Smith A, Kluver P (2013). The prevalence of anthelmintic resistance on Australian sheep farms (2009-2012) Proc. Intl Sheep Vets Congress, Rotorua 18-22 Feb.
- Matthew Playford, Ahmad Rabiee, Ian Lean, Ian Evans (2013). A multi-site randomised controlled trial to evaluate the efficacy of plastic clips to prevent flystrike in Australian sheep. Proceedings of the World Association for the Advancement of Veterinary Parasitology, Perth 25-29 August
- Lloyd, J and Playford, MC (2013). A producer’s guide to sheep husbandry practices. Meat and Livestock Australia, North Sydney.
- Playford MC (2012). Prevention- Treatment in the absence of a diagnosis? Proc. Australian Cattle Vets Conference, Hunter Valley 27-30 March
- Playford MC (2012). Preventing theileriosis in cattle. Proc. Australian Cattle Vets Conference, Hunter Valley 27-30 March
- Playford MC (2012). Parasites- preventing production loss in lactating cattle. Proc. Australian Cattle Vets Conference, Hunter Valley 27-30 March
- Playford MC (2012). Parasites- preventing production loss in growing animals. Proc. Australian Cattle Vets Conference, Hunter Valley 27-30 March
- Playford MC (2012). Preventing zoonoses. Proc. Australian Cattle Vets Conference, Hunter Valley 27-30 March
- Playford MC (2012). Preventing product resistance- how to sell and recommend antiparasitic treatments. Proc. Australian Cattle Vets Conference, Hunter Valley 27-30 March
- BR Watt, M Playford and J Eppleston (2012). A Pilot Survey into the Efficacy of Abamectin, Closantel and a Triple Combination Anthelmintic against Gastrointestinal Nematodes of Sheep on the NSW Central Tablelands. The Asian-Australasian Association of Animal Production Societies (AAAP) Animal Science Congress, 8 Feb
- MC Playford, I Evans, JB Lloyd, P Lawton, AR Rabiee, IJ Lean (2012). Multisite randomised controlled trial to evaluate polypropylene clips applied to the breech of lambs as an alternative to mulesing. I: effects on body weight, breech bare area measurements and scores, wrinkle scores and faecal and urine staining. Australian Veterinary Journal 90, 11, 415-422.
- AR Rabiee, MC Playford, I Evans, G Lindon, M Stevenson, IJ Lean (2012). Multisite randomised controlled trial to evaluate polypropylene clips applied to the breech of lambs as an alternative to mulesing. II: multivariate analysis of relationships between clip treatment and operator, sheep, farm and environmental factors. Australian Veterinary Journal 90, 11; 423-432.
- Playford, MC (2012). The Australian Wagyu Industry. Wagyu Association of Iki, Kyushu, Japan (Invited speaker, in Japanese).
- Playford MC (2011). Guidelines for veterinary personal biosecurity. Australian Veterinary Association, Sydney.
- Joseph Kamau, Albertus J de Vos, Matthew Playford, Bashir Salim, Peter Kinyanjui, Chihiro Sugimoto (2011). Emergence of new types of Theileria orientalis in Australian cattle and possible cause of theileriosis outbreaks. Parasites and Vectors 4:22.
- Playford MC (2010). Theileriosis: Don’t miss this new emerging disease. Proc. Australian Veterinary Association Conference, Brisbane 23-28 May
- Playford MC (2010). Anthelmintic resistance in cattle: Ignorance is bliss! Proc. Australian Veterinary Association Conference, Brisbane 23-28 May
- Lean, I.J.; Westwood, C.T.; Playford, M.C. (2008). Livestock disease threats associated with intensification of pastoral dairy farming. New Zealand Veterinary Journal, 56, 6: 261-269(9).
- Rabiee AR, Playford MC, Stevenson M, Lean IJ (2006). Risk Assessment on Cattle Ticks and Tick Fever. Report for the New South Wales Department of Primary Industries
- Playford MC, Rabiee AR, Lean IJ, Ritchie M (2005). Review of research needs for cattle tick control. Phases I and II. (Meat & Livestock Australia, North Sydney).
- Rabiee AR, Playford MC, Lean IJ (2005). Technical manual for animal health and production training course (Landmark, Australia).
- N Moss, MC Playford (2003). Biohazards and developing biosecurity protocols for Australasian dairy farms. Proceedings of the Australian and New Zealand combined dairy veterinarians conference, Taupo New Zealand, 16-20 June.
- Colson, D and Playford, MC (2001). Disease prevention and health management, Chapter 6 in ‘Heifer Rearing- a guide to rearing dairy replacement heifers in Australia’, Ed. J. Moran and D. McLean, Bolwarra Press, Bolwarra, VIC.
- Inohara J, Playford MC, Nonaka N, Ooi HK, Oku Y, Ito M, Kamiya M. (1996). Parenteral strobilar development of Echinococcus multilocularis in scid mice. Japanese Journal of Veterinary Research. May;44(1):1-12.
- Yuzaburo Oku, Matthew C. Playford, Hong Kean Ooi and Masao Kamiya (1994). Tritrichomonas muris. Manual of Microbiologic Monitoring of Laboratory Animals, Ed. Kim Waggie. Diane Publishing, Darby, PA, USA.
- Yuzaburo Oku, Matthew C. Playford, Hong Kean Ooi, and Masao Kamiya (1994). Myobia musculi and Radfordia spp. Manual of Microbiologic Monitoring of Laboratory Animals, Ed. Kim Waggie. Diane Publishing, Darby, PA, USA.
- PLAYFORD M. C. ; HONG-KEAN OOI ; OKU Y. ; KAMIYA M. (1992). Secondary Echinococcus multilocularis infection in severe combined immunodeficient (SCID) mice: biphasic growth of the larval cyst mass. International Journal for Parasitology 22, 7, 975-982.
- Matthew C. Playford, Hong-Kean Ooi, Mamoru Ito and Masao Kamiya (1993). Lymphocyte engraftment conveys immunity and alters parasite development in scid mice infected with Echinococcus multilocularis. Parasitology Research 79, 4: 261-268.
- PLAYFORD Matthew C, KAMIYA Masao (1992) IMMUNE RESPONSE TO ECHINOCOCCUS MULTILOCULARIS INFECTION IN THE MOUSE MODEL : A REVIEW Japanese Journal of Veterinary Research 14, 2: 114-130.
- MATTHEW C. PLAYFORD & MASAO KAMIYA (1991) Lice and easy, Nature 354, 9.
- Matthew C. Playford, Masao Kamiya (1992) Reforming science in Japan Nature 360, 620.
For more information about the publications & presentations listed above, contact us. Further more, for other publications & presentations in regards to parasitology, visit the USYD library page.